Sunday, July 29, 2012

Muddled Musings

Musing 1: The album "A Quick One" by The Who is amazing! Especially from a song writing standpoint. I'm not sure how many of those songs are covers, but I *wish* I could write songs that catchy. I love it.
Musing 2: The phrase "played the church organ like a boss" just tickles my phunny bone for some reason (misspelling intentional). I don't know why.
Musing 3: A friend of mine once said: "I don't care how I get along with someone on a personal level, if they're really talented, I'll work with them." I recently realized that my friend doesn't know what he's talking about. It's rare for musicians to dislike each other and still work well together. Sam and Dave are an incredibly rare exception to the rule. At the end of the day, I have to ask myself: "If I work with this person, will I look back on that time and be able to honestly say that I got some enjoyment out of it?" If the answer is no, I don't want to be in that group. That's not to say that you need to get along perfectly with everyone all the time, and you certainly should be flexible and willing to compromise. But in the situation described above, it doesn't matter if we're the biggest band in history, it's more important to me that I can have some fun with what I'm doing.
Advice on being a musician: "The music business is the worst business on the planet."-Kevin O'Leary, on ABC's "Shark Tank."
The fact of the matter is that yes, the music business is risky. Get over it. Everything is risky. Everything is hard. If you want to be the best at what you do, it will take effort. If you want to make a lot of money you have to take risks. Get smart, work hard, and don't be afraid of the risk. If you love what you do, you're in a good business.

No comments:

Post a Comment